Monday, June 29, 2009

Abtnoski Adventure in the BVI: Day 1

Holly Springs, NC to Cottonville, NC

The first real day of our vacation was a little different than usual. Bob had flown to Alabama to see his mom (she was in the hospital with breathing difficulties), and we were set to drive to Lydia’s mom’s house in Cottonville, NC. Cottonville is a crossroads a little SE of Norwood and about 1.5 hours from the Charlotte airport.

Thinking to save a little money (when traveling with 7 people a few hundred dollars a ticket adds up), we had bought tickets from Charlotte to St Thomas, USVI. So Monday night was a visit to Merle Boone’s farmhouse.

The farm is in rolling foothills of abandoned and working farms where change comes slowly, if at all. We passed through Carthage and Troy on our way there, and Lydia asked me if I’d ever been to Mar Mountain. I replied that I had not, somewhat surprised that I had never even heard of it. I asked if the mountain was named after Albemarle, a nearby town, and Lydia looked at me like I’d lost my mind. I clarified by saying, slowly, “Is Mar Mountain really spelled Marle Mountain?” Lydia replied just as slowly, as though I were the one who didn’t understand English, “No, it’s M-O-R-R-O-W”. “I’ve been there!” I replied, happy that I could now place this state park on my mental NC map.

We visited with Lydia’s sister; the kids drove the golfcart wildly and ran races over the hay bales; we had pizza for dinner. I slept in Lydia’s old room with her Peter Frampton Albums and HS Diploma. It was a wonderful and relaxing way to start a vacation.

There were two possibilities for naming this trip, combinations of the last names of the two families--I settled on Abtnoski over Stepnabtski.

No comments: